Saturday, February 25, 2006

Kushi



My roommate decided to fulfill his burning desire to watch this movie yesterday after he found out that a common friend had a DVD copy. Apparently he had missed (half of) this movie during his college days.

I believe that missing half of a movie is something that shouldn't happen to anyone. So, I gave up my laptop for the noble cause and with nothing better to do on a Friday evening, decided to participate.

Surprisingly, I found a lot wrong with it. This was a movie that I had enjoyed thoroughly with my friends. We had just finished our final year exams and were awaiting our visa dates. We couldn't have aksed for better then. Replete with witty one liners, interesting situations with an equal measure of double entendres and vulgar gyrations from Mumtaj had made sure that it would put S.J. Surya on the list of sure shot directors.

Some movies are just not meant to watched again. Its an honor that can only be bestowed on movies like The Godfather, Micheal Madana Kama Rajan and a few others like Pulp Fiction. Anyway, I made some observations.

Vijay can't act for nuts. Not then, not now and not ever. His dancing is another matter though.

I just love Jyothika on screen, but this time, all I could think of was how heavy her make up (esp her eyelashes) was. The one thing that had caught everyone's attention for good for bad was her body-language and squeaky irritating voice (blame the dubbing artiste). After watching SJ Suryah act in three movies, I am now clear about where the blame should lie.

The songs were very enjoyable to watch (with the exception of 'Kattipudi') reaffirming that it was one of Raju Sundaram's better works.

Also, SJ has a cameo in the movie (he causes Vijay's 'life changing' accident). He definitely looked better then. Just imagining him in 'Kalvanin Kaathali' delivering those romantic lines with a forlorn face, gives me the jitters now. So, I guess I'll stop.

No comments: